You’ve arrived in Australia and planned a wonderful road trip. What do you need? A reliable car to get you around at your own pace.
Finding your dream road trip car is actually pretty easy when you head to Australia. The country is built to serve road warriors with a passion for long drives through vast, open countryside.
So, before you pack your bags and hop onto a flight, check out some sites like the Aussie version of Gumtree, for some of these popular road-trip worthy cars.
1. Ford Falcon: The Australian Ford Falcon isn’t the best-looking car on the planet, but it is generally reliable, inexpensive to buy second-hand and, if it does need repairs, parts are super common down under.
White 2002 Ford Falcon Wagon – $3800 AUD. Image source: Gumtree
The reason it’s on this list is because of the bargain price it sells for now. The car is roomy and comfortable inside. The engine is huge for a car this size and the boot space is actually adequate for bags, camping gear or some tools.
2. Holden Commodore: A Holden Commodore sedan or wagon is a spacious cabin on wheels and has a much more premium feel to it than the Ford Falcon.
Green 1995 Holden HSV Clubsport – $1899 AUD. Image: Gumtree
It’s slightly smaller, but generally a little more stylish than the Falcon. In other words, the car doesn’t feel desperately cheap. It’s got good on-road performance and a lot of power under the hood. The 3.8-litre V6 engine is livelier than you would expect.
3. Toyota Camry: Toyota makes some of the sturdiest cars on the planet. Their cars are known for their off-road capability and endurance.
The Camry is one of Toyota’s most popular brands in Australia. A used Camry has enough boot space to accommodate anything you throw at it and comes in a variety of engine sizes, depending on the model you buy.
Blue 2007 Toyota Camry Sedan – $6500 AUD. Image source: Gumtree
Toyota’s are well known for their balance of affordability and reliability and the Camry is no different.
4. Mazda 3: If you want a car that’s a lot easier on the eyes than the Commodore or the Falcon, perhaps the Mazda 3 might be a better option.
Silver 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch – Image source: Gumtree
This gorgeous car is one of the most popular used cars in Australia.
The 2008 Neo Sport hatch or sedan might be a good option for a road trip with the family. It’s also very economical on the fuel, for the budget-conscious.
5. Mitsubishi Lancer: Like the Mazda, the Lancer is a good balance between size and performance.
Black 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer Coupe – $3500 AUD. Image source: Gumtree
The 2-litre petrol engine punches above its weight, although Lancers are generally on the compact side.
If you’re in Australia, don’t miss the chance to experience a road trip. The roads are wide and expansive, and they run through some of the most breathtaking landscapes on the planet.
Any of these five cars should serve you well on a road trip, but picking one comes down to the sort of car you prefer and your budget.