I am a native of the New Jersey Shore who came to Australia in January 2010. Before going overseas, I lived in Philadelphia for nine years. During that time, I worked as a tutor for children and adults with learning, physical and mental disabilities, a reporter for various Philadelphia newspapers, a magazine editor, a professional blogger and a babysitter.
After breaking up with a long-term partner and losing my job in the 2009 economic downturn, I decided to move to Sydney, Australia on a work and holiday visa and pursue a career as a full-time freelance writer, two dreams of mine. During the 3.5 years I lived in Sydney, I made a living writing and editing for a range of major Web sites, started a career in marketing, became a permanent resident of Australia and married the guy from PhiladelphiaI met two weeks into my move. I now live in New York City with my husband and infant son and continue to work in marketing.
My travels have taken me to 40 American states and a dozen countries across Europe, Oceania, Asia and North America.
8 Things About Me
- I knew I wanted to pursue writing for a living from the age of 5. My first “stories” were based on the then super-popular Baby-sitters Club series. My backup careers were law and dance.
- On that last note, I am a trained dancer in the areas of jazz, tap, lyrical, ballet, modern and musical theater. I have participated in dance competitions and conventions around the New York tri-state area, at which I met some of the choreographers and judges who appear on shows such as So You Think You Can Dance.
- My first overseas trip was at age 14 when my parents decided to let me choose where to take the next family vacation. I chose Mexico.
- My life has been plagued with strange illnesses and injuries. I once got an earplug stuck in my ear that had to be sucked out by an ear, nose and throat doctor. I have had random allergic reactions resulting in severe hives and face swelling since I was a kid. I was also sick with a rare syndrome called Guillain-Barre while in college.
- People often ask me about my ethnic background and race and tell me I look part Asian or Pacific Islander. My background is purely Caucasian and European: Irish, Italian, Polish, Austrian and German.
- I have started each day with a single cup of coffee since I was a teenager and ended each day with some form of dessert since I was a child.
- True crime is one of my obsessions. I love to read or watch documentaries about criminals like Charles Manson, the Night Stalker Richard Ramirez and the Ice Man Richard Kuklinski.
- I have synesthesia.
Some travel, expat, writing and other bloggers I dig:
One Step 4ward Johnny left Ireland in 2006 for a life on the road.
Aspiring Backpackers The name says it all!
There’s No Place Like Oz A Virginia gal who traveled Oz and is now back home.
Twenty-Something Travel Steph just returned from a RTW trip and living in China.
Our Oyster This Canadian/English couple is attempting to travel from Australia to the UK — almost entirely overland!
The Jungle Princess Abby traded in corporate life for Costa Rica. She’s now back in the States running a major magazine.
In Search of a Life Less Ordinary Russell and his wife have gone from the U.K. to Canada to Sydney, where they’re currently based.
Backpacking Matt An Iowa boy settled in Queenstown.
Caroline in the City From Georgia to Oz, with love.
On My Feet or In my Mind Erik is a traveler from Michigan who’s been to a slew of places.
Lifeoutofasuitcase.com Stories by 20 something woman expats and travelers.
Malaysia Asia Great stories from Asia.
Writer Abroad From America to Europe.
Heels and Wheels A Jersey girl who traveled to Australia and is now living in NZ with her English boyfriend.
The Aussie Nomad Chris changed his life when he left Oz to go see the world. He is now based in Europe.
Suzy Guese Travel with a redheaded temperament.
Travel With a Mate Matt and his wife have been around the world, living in Australia, Asia and now in their native England.
Future Expats Forum A good resource for those thinking of moving abroad.