I am a native of the New Jersey Shore who came to Australia in January 2010. Before coming overseas, I lived in Philadelphia for nine years. During that time, I worked as a tutor for children and adults with learning, physical and mental disabilities, a reporter for various Philadelphia newspapers, a magazine editor, a professional blogger and a babysitter.
After losing my job in the economic downturn in 2009, I decided to move to Sydney, Australia on a work and holiday visa and pursue a career as a full-time freelance writer, two dreams of mine. Almost three years later, I am now a permanent resident of Australia and engaged to the Philadelphia man I met two weeks into my arrival in Sydney.
My travels have taken me to 40 American states and a dozen countries, including China, Italy, England, Fiji and New Zealand. My writing career has given me opportunities to write for major publications and web sites such as CNN, AOL, Travel+Leisure and Jetstar Magazine.
7 Things About Me
- I knew I wanted to pursue writing for a living from the age of 5. My first “stories” were based on the then super-popular Baby-sitters Club series. My backup careers were law and dance.
- On that last note, I am a trained dancer in the areas of jazz, tap, lyrical, ballet, modern and musical theater. I have participated in dance competitions and conventions around the New York tri-state area, at which I met some of the choreographers and judges who appear on shows such as So You Think You Can Dance.
- My first overseas trip was at age 14 when my parents decided to let me choose where to take the next family vacation. I chose Mexico.
- My life has been plagued with strange illnesses and injuries. I once got an earplug stuck in my ear that had to be sucked out by an ear, nose and throat doctor. I have had random allergic reactions resulting in severe hives and face swelling since I was a kid. I was also sick with a rare syndrome called Guillain-Barre while in college.
- People often ask me about my ethnic background and race and tell me I look part Asian or Pacific Islander. My background is purely Caucasian and European: Irish, Italian, Polish, Austrian and German.
- I have started each day with a single cup of coffee since I was a teenager and ended each day with some form of dessert since I was a child.
- True crime is one of my obsessions. I love to read or watch documentaries about criminals like Charles Manson, the Night Stalker Richard Ramirez and Richard, the Ice Man, Kuklinski.